From the group that combats the Wikia skin, the Anti-Wikia alliance.
- See Frequently Asked Questions for how to leave Wikia.
Moving wikis, especially if you are not being hosted by ShoutWiki, can be difficult and a lot of work. The Anti-Wikia Alliance is here to help make that translation easier.
Instructions to leave Wikia for ShoutWiki
Actual setup takes less than seven minutes:
On the wikia you want to move:
- Register a ShoutWiki account
- Create a wiki.
On your e-mail:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- a link to your old Wikia you are leaving and
- a link to the newly created ShoutWiki wiki.
- The helpful ShoutWiki staff will do the rest.
Your wikia will be transferred to ShoutWiki in a couple of days.
Volunteer to be a mentor to give technical advice or simply for moral support to editors trying to leave Wikia.
- Will give moral support and any technical advice I can. Anno1404 18:29, 27 November 2010 (UTC)
- Me too, as a staffer of the Club Penguin Wiki Network and the main guy moving Apple Wiki. Power to the People! 01:08, 4 December 2010 (UTC)
- I can meet in IRC or talk pages with people who need help with community stuff and general advice. Jax-Kenobi 15:00, 14 December 2010 (UTC)
- I have experience and I speak to staff regularly. If you need advice on moving to ShoutWiki, ask me. I can also help with small tasks if you are moving to another host/independence. ☆The Solar Dragon☆ 12:56, 18 December 2010 (UTC)
New site name:
- deadrisingwiki.com (work in progress)
- Unless you are extremely technical proficient, have a wiki farm host your wikia.
- After 24 days of hell and literally days trying to get my MediaWiki wiki to get transferred I spent $200 just to set my wiki up. More details...
Power to the People!'s experience
New site name:
- various (all the wikis on the Club Penguin Wiki Network)
- You need manpower to move, mainly for large wikis. That's what we did to move our wikis.
- It was months. First, we had to get a good host (on Halloween eve we got a DreamHost account set up). Then we had to configure all the MediaWiki installs. Then we couldn't use the normal importDump.php method due to the dumps being large, and ended up using man-power. Next came images, which also will take a lot of time. We used upload from URL to help speed this up. The moving is still going on.
- Just a note for anyone reading this, importDump.php is pretty bad but you don't have to use it to import your dump. You can use mwdumper on your (much more powerful) home computer to convert the dump into an equivalent batch of SQL commands and then run the commands against your database (MySQL has a shell and you can just "source" the file while in the shell). This is extremely fast. -- someone who did just that —Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs) 10:21, January 14, 2011 (PHT)
New site name: http://sml.shoutwiki.com
- I recommend either ShoutWiki or personal server host your wiki.
- Wikia banned me for telling an user to "jump off an cliff". I should have gotten an warning instead of an straight ban. Plus the look and feel on the Wikia skin is horrible and they always put annoying ads on the wiki wallpaper and people cant see them. Then I found out about ShoutWiki. Very convenient. We are still moving.
- Department of Justice: Moving your wiki from Wikia to another host (off-Wikia), experience of past moves from Wikia.